Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The Pack Attacks

So our neighbors asked us to look in on their cats while they visited their parents in Detroit and Green Bay. Which we did. To thank us, they brought Claire a gift. However, the gift was a Green Bay Packers onesie. They did this to taunt me! I suppose I asked for it, since when I first met them I looked at the "G" decal in their car window and said, "I hope that decal stands for Grambling" (an all-African American college that uses the same G as a logo). The battle lines were drawn. So when they presented us with the onesie (which they obviously thought was very funny) I stammered, "well, I guess she does need something to poop on." Fortunately they laughed.

Upon further reflection, I think this is a great opportunity. After all, we will need to teach Claire about right and wrong. And this onesie is a great example of wrong. S teases that she will put it on Claire during Vikings games, while I wear my Vikings t-shirt. Though it may risk confusing the baby about her identity, I guess there is nothing I can do about that. All we can do is point our child in the right direction and teach her about important values. But in the end, she needs to make her own choices. And if she chooses the Packers over any inheritance, we will love her no less.

No comments: